In our sports hall we have the opportunity to fly with model airplanes. Last year, I saw the Magnum Reloaded flying. The pilot was very enthusiastic about the plane. Long story short, I decided to build one myself. Browsing the internet, I found many Magnum’s but not clear building instructions. It’s not a difficult plane to build. I will try to document the buying and building process.I already have a transmitter.
OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 6CH Programmable Transmitter w/10 Model Memory (Mode 1) bought from HobbyKing (www.hobbyking.com)
I bought the plane itself from our Dutch ebay called Marktplaats. Everything pre-cut EPP with floaters. It took me €31,75 and was delivered within 2 days.
Next step was a time consuming order with HobbyKing. I chose only parts available in their warehouse in Europe.
- Engine: Turnigy Park250 Brushless Outrunner 1680kv (EU Warehouse): $11
- Speedcontroler: HobbyKing 10A ESC 1A UBEC (EU warehouse): $7.33
- Servo: 2x HXT500 6.2g / 0.6kg / .08sec Micro Servo (EU Warehouse): $3.75
- Battery: ZIPPY Flightmax 800mAh 2S1P 20C (EU warehouse): $4.99
- Prop: Slow Fly Electric Prop 8045SF (4 pc) (EU warehouse): $2.42
- Receiver: OrangeRx R615 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver (EU warehouse: $6.99
I needed glue. I read a lot about all kinds of glue and decided to go for superglue or CA glue with an activator. Not all superglues do well with EPS or EPP. http://www.rcracingtwente.nl/ offered the stuff I needed. I also ordered 2 pieces of Carbon rod for reinforcement.
- Zap Adhesives Zap-O Odorless CA+ Foam Safe Glue 20 gram: €9,95
- Zap Adhesives Zip Kicker (activator): € 7,95
- ZAP-A-GAP PT-03 Medium CA 14.1gram: € 4,95
- Carbon vezel staaf massief 0,8XMMX1000MM: € 2,50
- Carbon vezel staaf massief 1,5MMX1000MM: : € 2,30
The glue was expensive but I didn’t want to take a risk with the EPP. The activator and glue are from the same company and foam safe, so I figured they work well together. And taking delivery costs (€ 3,00) into account, it was not a bad deal.
Once again, I surfed to www.hobbyking.com. More stuff was needed. Some hinging tape although I read about hinges made out of contact glue. Control horns, nylon clevis and a balance charger for the lipo batteries.
- 1x 1″ x 4m Roll – 3M Blenderm Tape (Hinging Tape – Twin Pack) (EU warehouse): $4.46
- 1x Control Horns 13.5x16mm (10pcs) (EU warehouse): $1.16
- 1x Nylon Clevis 2x29mm (10pcs) (EU warehouse): $0.75
- 1x #TE4/30032 HobbyKing E4 Balance Charger (EU warehouse): $13.53
And after that, I couldn’t resist ordering some magnets. I don’t exacly know which size works best so I ordered to kinds with Deal Extreme. THe plan is to use magnets to mount the mainwing
- Model Small Magnets – Silver (50 PCS-Pack): $4,69
- 6 x 1mm Round N33 NdFeB Magnet – Silver (10 PCS): $2,27
Last order from www.ebay.com were some plugs for the battery connection in the plain as well as the charger.
- 20x 100mm lipo Battery plug JST connector Male & Female: $8,20
I used Acryl paint which I already had in stock. (from the dutch shop Action)
I will use the acronym MR for Magnum Reloaded in the next posts.